What not to buy when shopping in charity shops

By Kizzy - December 14, 2017


Walking into a charity shop or thrift store can be intimidating, especially if it's your first time thrifting. I still get intimidated now especially if I'm not looking for something in particular.

When I first started thrifting I used to go to the charity shops hoping something would jump out at me, be it an item of clothing or something for our home and more often than not I would end up leaving with nothing as there was too much to choose from.

Now that I resell as well as reuse items in our home, I find that if I know what to look for and not look for I end up finding what I want.

So to help you avoid the overwhelm here is a short list of things to avoid when shopping in charity shops for yourself.

Chipped Glass

Glassware can be in abundance in many charity shops. 

From drinks glasses to cookware, stunning vintage pieces to decorative vases. 

Although many of these items can look ok upon first glance, you need to look closely before purchasing. 

Small chips can be hard to see, especially if on cut glass piece. 

Main areas to check on glassware are around the rim where your lips would go and on the base. 

If you are buying for yourself, bacteria can settle into the chips as well as increasing the risk of cuts.

The same can be said for ceramics too.


Underwear

I'm sure many of you wouldn't buy underwear from a charity shop but just in case I thought I'd include it.

Bra's and nighties are ok as long as they are in good condition but I would never buy pants/knickers purely for the hygiene risks.

 If they were new with tags then maybe, but otherwise no.


Baking Goods

Here I am thinking about pans, trays, moulds etc. 

Check over the items very carefully before buying as you need to avoid anything with rust etc.



Waterproof Protective Clothing

These items, such as rain boots or waterproof coats tend to lose their protective ability over time.

They may look like they'll keep you dry but more than likely the rain will seep through.




Battery Operated Items

Many things like toys have been so well used before being donated that they have very little life left in them.

Like anything else you are buying, check over thoroughly prior to purchasing to make sure it is completely working.

This includes the battery compartment.

Unless you can open them up and check that they haven't been stored with the batteries left in I would avoid.









  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments